FM


88.1 FM WCWP - BROOKVILLE

C.W. Post Long Island University Radio.  A mix of jazz with some rock and R&B programs presented by students.  As of 2010 WCWP no longer simulcasts WPBX's programs.  It is no longer is associated with Southampton University.  Does not share time with WXBA.  Have you ever worked at WCWP?  If so, visit The "Unofficial" WCWP 88.1 FM Alumni Site.  It's full of photos and wonderful memories of WCWP between 1965 through 2004.


88.1 FM WXBA - BRENTWOOD (1975)

The Radio Voice of the Brentwood Public Schools, WXBA originally was on 88.5-FM at 10 watts in 1975 (although they were on the same frequency with WPOB-FM and WKWZ-FM, they were not part of the share time arrangement with them).  Moved to 88.1-FM in 1979 when the FCC did away with 10 watt licenses (WXBA went from 10 to 180 watts ERP).

For many years Bob Ottone (WGBB fame) was the Station's Manager and could be heard on-air doing news and the occasional shows.  Bob retired and passed the station's operations on to his daughter Jaimie, who successfully ran WXBA for several years before moving on, and once again recently returning.  Other WXBA alumni who work in radio include Ralph Marino, Rick Belyea (WALK and WLNY-TV 55) and Dave Reid (WALK).  Many prominent Long Island broadcasters have spend time at WXBA working with the on-air students (Frank Brinka, Frank Sthele among others).  Programming includes Top-40 music, community news, as well as Brentwood High School events (football, baseball, basketball and various school concerts).  Unlike other educational stations which only allow students on the air at certain times during the day, WXBA prides itself on programming for the students, by the students, as well as offering free air time to radio professionals who work on Long Island.  WXBA does not share time with WCWP, however speculation has it that WXBA will play a big part in starting a network of educational stations on Long Island, to be appropriately labeled: The Long Island Educational Network (WSHR also being a part of the LIEN network).  Stay tuned for more!

Attention all past WXBA Radio Alumni: everyone is invited to visit the WXBA 88.1FM Tribute Site. Anyone with information about the alumni photos are encouraged to e-mail the tribute site webmaster!



88.3 FM WPBX/WLIU - SOUTHAMPTON

Long Island University Radio from SUNY Southampton.  Original calls were WPBX until 2000.  Station was sold to Peconic Public Broadcasting and all simulcasts on WCWP (Brookville) ended in 2010.  More information to follow - stay tuned.


88.5 FM WPOB - PLAINVIEW *s/t WKWZ* (1972)

Plainview/Old Bethpage Schools. Broadcasts from 7:30 am-2:30 pm.  Mostly Top 40 and rock.



88.5 FM WKWZ - SYOSSET *s/t WPOB* (1972)

Syosset Public Schools.  A mix of different programs is presented.  Broadcasts in the late afternoons/evenings.


88.7 FM (WHCH, WVHC) WRHU - HEMPSTEAD (1950 CC-AM/6-9-59 FM)

WRHU officially is Long Island’s oldest non-commercial station.  In 1950 a group of Hofstra College students decided to form a Campus broadcasting club.  In December of that year, they obtained clearance to broadcast a carrier current signal at 640 kc AM on campus.  The station called itself WHCH, which stood for Hofstra College Hempstead with original studios located in the basement of Mason Hall’s Gallon Wing (underneath the Spiegel Theatre).  After several years, the popularity of WHCH and its programming grew to the point that Hofstra's Board of Trustees applied for a 10 watt FM license.  On June 9th, 1959, the 'Voice Of Hofstra College' (WVHC) officially signed 88.7 on the air with 10 watts.  The Antenna was originally located on the roof of the Adams Playhouse, which at four stories was the tallest building at the time on campus.  In 1962 WVHC was granted a power increase to 250 watts.  The station maintained its offices and tape library on the other side of campus on the 2nd floor of Memorial Hall.

The turn of the decade from the 60’s thru the 70’s brought significant changes to WVHC.  Hofstra was now considered a University and the slogan was changed to the Voice of the Hofstra Community.  New studios were constructed in the basement of Memorial Hall, which put operations in the same building as the station's offices and archives.  The station was also granted a second power boost to 400 watts ERP.  But, there were some drawbacks to all of this.  At this same period of time, Hofstra University was developing it’s school of communication and classes occupied the studios during the day, which cut into WVHC’s on air time.  GM Jeff Kraus began hard work on developing a solution to the problem.  On July 25th 1983, WVHC became WRHU (Radio Hofstra University).  The station began broadcasting in stereo from the top of Constitution Hall (a 14 story dorm tower) with an ERP of 470 watts.  The station and the School of Communications continued to expand.  The university was finally ready to put more funding into the program.

The early 90’s saw the development of a plan to move WRHU to its own new building adjacent to Dempster Hall, which houses TV studios and the rest of the School of communications.  Jeff Kraus worked with Sue Zizza (Director of the Audio Program) developing the layout of the new station.  Unfortunately, Jeff passed away during what should have been a simple surgical procedure and never had the opportunity to attend the groundbreaking ceremony for the new building that he worked so hard for.  With Jeff gone, the new building's plans were changed.  A half a million dollars slated for new equipment was instead allocated to add on to Dempster Hall.  The WRHU complex was built as a back wing of Dempster Hall with some classroom, faculty office and computer lab space added in between.  The idea was to connect WRHU more with the school of communications.

In 1993 Bruce Avery (News 12 Weather) was hired as the new GM.  Michelle Lisi (a WRHU alumni) was hired as WRHU’s first Operations Manager.  WRHU signed on from the new Dempster Hall Studio in October of 1994 and concurrently moved its offices to the same complex.  Due to budget restrictions, more than half of the studios remained unfurnished for a few years.  This actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise though.  The late 90’s have been a flurry of activity at WRHU as new money was allocated to the station to newly furnish the rest of the studios.  The station now has ample studio space with all new state of the art digital equipment.  WRHU now broadcasts 22 hours a day.  Roughly 80% of the staff are students with 15% community volunteers and 5% professional staff.

October 10th 2003, Long Island's oldest non-commercial station, 88.7 FM WRHU-Radio Hofstra University, will air 24/7 instead of being off the air from 3-5 a.m. For more details, go to * WWW.WRHU.org *



88.9 FM WFRS - SMITHTOWN

Originally, this station was supposed to be WATC for SUNY Farmingdale.  Rumor has it that there was also a CP granted in the late 60's to Hauppauge High School for a LPFM, of which Hauppauge's BOE never followed up.  For the first 5 years (1988-1993) WFRS relayed Family Radio from WFME 94.7-FM in Newark, New Jersey.  Since then, it gets most of it's programming by satellite from the network headquarters of Family Stations, Inc. in Oakland, California, the owners of both WFRS and WFME.  While the city of license is Smithtown, the actual location of the studios and transmitter of WFRS is in Islandia. (See Mike Erickson's commentary: "Can You Translate This For Me?", located at the bottom of this site).
(Update courtesy of B.W. Clark)


89.9 FM WSUF - GREENPORT

Relays WSHU-FM in Connecticut.  Again, more out of state programming. 


90.1 FM WUSB - STONY BROOK (1963 CC-AM/6-27-77 FM)

WUSB began somewhere around 1963 as a carrier current station on the Stony Brook campus at 640 kc.  The original studios were located in what was described as “a hole in the ground” in the gymnasium.  WUSB started to get organized with a regular program schedules somewhere between 1965 and 1970.  In 1965 the SUNY system decided to mandate FM radio in its master plan for all of the SUNY campuses.  Unfortunately, it was up to the individual schools to obtain FM stations by themselves.  1970 marked the beginning of the movement to bring WUSB to the FM Dial. The studios were moved in 1975 to the 2nd floor of the Student Union Building (where they are still located today).  WUSB made a serious attempt to buy a plot of land for the transmitter tower, but state guidelines prevented that from ever happening.  Norm Prusslin, who was a recent Graduate and alum of WUSB, was hired as the station's first General Manager, a position he still holds today.  Just when everything looked like it was all set to go, opposition arose from the west.

Adelphi University, who used to broadcast on 90.3 in Garden City (WBAU), challenged the WUSB construction permit.  The FCC overruled their objection 1976 and construction began.  In June of 1977, WUSB was granted a license to operate as Long Islands most powerful non-commercial FM station (a throne they no longer hold) with roughly 3.5 kilowatts.  The station was officially signed on for the first time at 5:30 pm on June 27th 1977 in stereo.  The original antenna was located on top of the Chemistry Building, the tallest building on the main part of the campus.  But having 3.5 kW on top of the Grad Chem building (which was next to the Physics building and not far from the Engineering Quad), presented many problems.  The station's RF radiation caused inaccurate results on sensitive test equipment in the University’s labs.  In the mid 80’s, it was determined that either the transmitting site had to be moved, or the transmitted power would have to be drastically reduced.  Since the geography of the local landscape blocked the signal beyond the local campus area (even with 3.5 kW), moving the antenna to a new location off campus would be the best option.

As luck would have it, the new 'Mile High' tower was about to be erected on Bald Hill in Farmingville and was going to be the new home to WBLI (among many other customers).  An agreement was reached between WUSB and the new tower owners, but that did not mean WUSB was all set and ready to move.  There were still many years of legal struggles for WUSB over spacing and new license applications on adjacent channels.  In 1995, WUSB won its bid to move to Bald Hill with a directional pattern.  Most of the station’s annual budget goes toward paying tower space rental and leasing audio lines from the studio to the tower.  WUSB still maintains the old transmitter site on top of the Chemistry building as an emergency backup.  There is also talk of obtaining a translator license for better on campus coverage.  It seems that the same local geographic features that limited the old signal to the local area now actually blocks part of it from the local area.  WUSB currently serves LI with an extremely wide variety of diverse programming.


90.3 FM WHPC - GARDEN CITY

90.3 WHPC-GARDEN CITY *s/t WBAU 1972-1995* (1972)
N
ow exclusive to this channel since the purchase of the WBAU license.  The voice of Nassau Community College. WHPC's frequency was originally assigned to Sewanika High School (WSHS) in western Nassau County in the 1940's (see the YESTERDAY ONCE MORE section for WSHS history).  It was considered a pioneer station run by high school students (250 watts).  Adelphi and Nassau each made separate deals with Sewanika that clashed with each other over WSHS.  Instead of a long court battle, which was threatened, NCC and Adelphi agreed to split the frequency at 8 hours a day each, then alternating days for the other 8 hours.  Why they didn't just split it 12 hours each is unknown.  According to Rob Leonard, WHPC officially went on the air October 27th, 1972 at 1:27pm, with the first song played being "Listen To The Music" by the Doobie Brothers.  Some alumni of WHPC are: Jim Douglas, Donna Donna (WLIR and WBAB), Charley Connoly, Party Marty Mitchell, Ed Newlands, Rob Rush, Sean Lynch, Rob Leonard, and Chuck LaBella (VP at NBC). Jim Douglas is now at Fresh 102.7.  In 1995, the president of Adelphi, looking for money because Adelphi was in debt, and realizing that most of the WBAU staff was NOT students, sold the frequency to WHPC, which later became a 24 hour station.

Special thanks to Rob Leonard and Broadcast Engineer Edwin Karl for the recent updates.

91.3 WRLI-SOUTHAMPTON
This station relays Connecticut Public Radio on Long Island (more out of state programming... like we really need it).


91.9 FM WSHR - LAKE RONKONKOMA

Owned by the Sachem Public School system, WSHR received a substantial power increase back in 1991 (coincidentally, at the same time WLNG-FM got theirs).  Technically speaking, WSHR is currently the most powerful high school radio station on Long Island.  Stuart Harris (WSHR station manager for 26 years) retired at the end of the 2000 school year.  Technical engineering duties for WSHR are currently under the guidance of Mr. Mark Laura (WBLI).  Notable Long Island personalities offering WSHR programming assistance are veteran broadcasters Rick Keith (ex-WALK) and Mike Erickson (ex-WNYG-WLIM).  In the past WSHR had programmed lots of pre-taped Jazz and Big Band programming, but now holds impressive plans to dramatically increasing student-station interactivity by upgrading all it's studios.  WSHR is part of the Long Island Educational Network.  6kw.


92.1 FM WLNG - SAG HARBOR

92.1 WLNG-SAG HARBOR (1969)
This once mono FM is synonymous with East End broadcasting.  The FM did not broadcast 24-hours until 1989.  Was originally 3kw, increased power in December 1991 to 6kw.  Famous for its remotes featuring the double-decker bus, longtime legendary WLNG broadcaster Paul Sidney and Swap & Shop (radio classifieds that air daily 10-11am).  Studios on the 'Redwood Causeway' (Redwood Road) in Sag Harbor.  Also famous for using PAMS jingles (seems like more jingles than records at times).  Supporting staff included Joe Ricker (mornings/news), Gary Sapiane (mornings), Rusty Potts (afternoons), Bob Aldrich (evenings), Don Cannon (now at WOGL-FM in Philadelphia), John Spata (deceased), Joe Manno (1979) and Al Case (of WGBB fame).  Oldies/Top-40 hybrid with lots of emphasis on local news and affairs.  As of January 21st 2011, and after almost 42 years, WLNG turned the 19Khz stereo pilot on, and is no longer transmitting a mono signal.  Paul Sydney always claimed: "WLNG is radio the way it used to be, and should be!"  Sadly, Paul Sydney passed away on 04/02/2009 after a very long illness.  Paul was co-owner of radio station WLNG in Sag Harbor, and worked in radio broadcasting since 1964.  He was 64.

Paul Sydney On WLNG - Live On Remote -


92.7 FM WLIR - GARDEN CITY

92.7 (WLIR, WDRE) WLIR-GARDEN CITY
Broadcasting from the famous Garden City Hotel for years, WLIR originally started as a Beautiful Music station and was known as the home to 'Murry the K' in the 1970's.  Studios were located in Hempstead through the 1970's.  Known for their "Tuesday Night Live Radio Concert Series".  Earle Bailey did evenings at WLIR in the late 1970's (he would later move on to WNEW-FM.) Long Island radio legend Bob Klein (WALK FM) also started his broadcasting career at WLIR FM.  The full lineup was:

 6-10 a.m. - LARRY KLEINMAN
10 a.m.-2 p.m. - DENIS McNAMARA
2-6 p.m. - PAM MERLY
6-10 p.m. - EARLE BAILEY
10 p.m.-2 a.m. - RAY WHITE
2-6 a.m. - ARMIN LASZLO
(Above Line-Up Courtesy: Rick Bohs)

WLIR's 70's overnight DJ Armin Laszlo recently checked in and sent photos. Click the camera: To Armin Laszlo's photos

Lots of wrangling with the license in the 1970 and early 80's with WLIR.  Had a popular 'New Wave' format with younger listeners in the early 1980's still as WLIR, then switched calls to WDRE in 1987 and became the station that "DARES TO BE DIFFERENT". The call change happened when the owner took the WLIR calls with him to Westchester to use on an AM station.  In the mid-1990's... with sagging ratings... the station switched back to the original WLIR calls and brought back some of the old jocks to recapture the magic the station had in the 1980's.  Jarad has tried to protect the WDRE calls... and the sister FM in Westhampton currently has them at 98.5.  WLIR also simulcast for a short time with a station in Philadelphia.  In October of 2003, Ronald Morey sold WLIR to Univision for an estimated 64 million dollars.  By purchasing WLIR, Univision extended it's Spanish broadcasting outreach to Long Island. 3kw. BTW: There's a fantastic WLIR tribute site at: http://www.wlir.fm/ which is highly recommended and well worth visiting!


92.9 FM WEHM - SOUTHAMPTON

Original licensed calls were WCSO Southampton, new calls WEHM (switched with 97.1 FM), which is now WHBE broadcasting WBBR (Bloomberg Radio).  Licensed to AAA Entertainment. 2.75kw ERP Non-Directional.

My 94-X Online
94.3 FM (WQMF, WGLI, WGSM, WCTO, WMJC) and now WIGX - SMITHTOWN (9-61)

Built as WQMF by Friendly Frost while they owned WGLI-AM and WTFM-FM.  Friendly Frost sold WGLI-AM and WQMF-FM to Warwick Associates (later to be known as Beck-Ross Communications), in 1966 for $500,000 but kept WTFM.  Warwick would later sell the 94.3-FM to Greater Media for $90,000 (Warwick kept WGLI).  94.3's fame came as WCTO... a beautiful music station, retaining the format for better than 20 years. Ken Lamb (now with ABC-TV) was a mainstay for years. 

When WCTO went on the air, Long Island Network was required to do 60 seconds of news at the bottom of the hour (three headline news stories and weather with no sound bites or actualities or reports from field reporters).  According to Tom Preston who was News Director for WGSM/WCTO, the staff at LI Network apparently hated it.  "Sometimes, we’d be engrossed in gathering news and would forget to do the CTO newscast.  So, an alarm bell was installed in the LI Network newsroom which was at WGBB in Merrick.  When the alarm bell rang the LI Network anchor scurried into the booth to do the WCTO news."

Switched to a popular light AC format in 1990 as WMJC "Magic 94.3" under the guidance of Jack Kratoville (now at WLTW), then purchased by WRCN radio in 1994 and simulcast the rock format from 1994-1996. After the rock experiment failed... it began to simulcast its sister station WGSM, which was carrying a country format at the time. WMJC eventually would adopt that format exclusively when WGSM became Radio Disney.

WMJC Advertisement (Rear Of Sticker)
(Click The Above Country 94.3 Sticker To View The Rear Advertisement)

Dropped the country format and became "Island 94-3" on November 10, 2000 playing rock hits of the '80's and '90's with Charlie Lombardo (aka Jay Letterman from WALK) as PD.  Transmitter on Crooked Hill Rd south of the LIE... studios on Rt. 110 at the Northern State Parkway.  Studios currently located in the same building as WBZO and WGSM.  As of November 5th 2010 at 5PM, Island 94.3 became "94-X" Playing The Hits Of A New Generation.  The format will debut jockless and will focus on hit music from the mid-'80s up through 2005.  In addition, and throughout the rest of the year, the new 94-X WIGX will feature "Three Day Weekends" going commercial-free from 5p Fridays through 5p Mondays.  WIGX was owned for many years by Barnstable Broadcasting, who recently sold its four Long Island radio properties to Connoisseur Communications for $23 million.  The properties include WHLI, WBZO and WKJY.  3kw.

94.7 FM WLIX/LP RIDGE (2005)
A true breath of fresh air to the already over commercialized Long Island radio market, WLIX/LP is officially the first legal low power FM station to set up shop on Long Island!  Although currently broadcasting in mono at 100 watts, they enjoy a superb signal with excellent audio quality.  We say congratulations to Scotty Hart and welcome Radio-X.


95.3 FM (WWRJ, WSBH) WHFM-SOUTHAMPTON (1971)
Went one the air as beautiful music station, with studios in the basement of the Southampton Inn on Hill Street. The station was bought by Beach Broadcasting Corporation, owned by Mal Kahn, in 1979, and was moved around the corner 56 Jagger Lane.  Long time WRIV morning man Vince Artale moved to WSBH in '79.  Mid-day jock Rich Kaye served as program director, while Nina Fenton was the other full time jock.  Roberta Newman replaced Fenton in 1980, and remained on mid-days until 1985.  She remained with the station on a part-time basis and eventually became the morning news anchor in the late '80s before leaving in the early '90s.  John Marino arrived in November of 1980, Bob Baron in December of '80, and Long Island radio veteran Jim Pierce in the spring of 1981.  Marino replaced Kaye as P-D in February of 1981, and also served as music director until Memorial Day weekend of 1987, before leaving for WFAS in White Plains, Westchester County, then to WHLI and eventually WCBS-AM, where he recently wrapped up a decade stint as a sports anchor and reporter.  Ken Gholson (now at WLNG in Sag Harbor), came aboard in June of 1983 as assistant P-D and assistant M-D.  He later took over the mid-day slot from Newman in 1985.  The late 1985 WSBH lineup was: Artale (mornings), Gholson (afternoons), and Marino (evenings).

The Drake/Chenault A/C format was customized by Marino and Gholson (over the objections of various Drake consultants), for the Long Island market.  Marino also hosted the three hour "Sinatra On Sunday" from 1983-1986.  Succeeded by the AOR-influenced "Sunday Morning Memories" from the fall of '86 until his departure in '87.  Gholson hosted Long Island's highest rated 'Saturday Night Dance Party' from '83 to '98.  Kahn stayed on briefly as general manager after the station was sold in February of 1995 to Faircom Communications.  He was replaced later that year by one-time WFIL, Philadelphia sales manager Bob Ballantine.  Balantine was reassigned to Faircom's Charleston, South Carolina stations shortly after Marino's departure.  Baron joined WRCN-FM in 1982, Pierce became WALK-FM's overnight jock in 1984.  Gholson remained at WSBH after the call letters were changed to WHFM, after Marino and Balantine left in the second half of '87.  He stayed until 1989.  Artale is now deceased.  Pierce served as chief engineer at WLUX and WLIE in the early part of this decade.  He is currently a staff engineer for Viacom, handling WFAN and WCBS-AM.  The station shifted to "Hot A/C" as "Live 95" before it was sold in 1992 to Liberty's WBAB.  Began to simulcast WBAB's Album Rock format, which was featured on its FM up-island.  The simulcast has been successful and the stations still simulcasts today. As WBAB has been sold, so has WHFM... currently both are owned by COX Communications (which also owns WBLI). 3kw FM went 6kw in the mid 90's.

WSBH 95.3 FM Southampton, NY Air-check from TechnerVideo on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFQyqxirs2M



96.1 FM (WLVG) and now WKJI -CENTER MORICHES (1997)

Had been LOVE 96.1 (a light AC format) since it went on the air.  Has had 3 past owners: Starr, Multicultural (Beacon was a subsidiary of Multicultural), Barnstable, and as of 2011 JVC Broadcasting.  Studios in Medford (housed in the same location as once co-owned WRCN); transmitter on CO-RD 51 outside Riverhead.  Latest news is their new country music format under the banner of MY COUNTRY 96.1 FM. 3kw.

96.7 FM WHBE-EAST HAMPTON (1993)
Was originally WEHM broadcasting AC, Jazz, and AAA (Adult Album Alternative), but is now simulcasting Bloomberg Financial Radio (WBBR).  In the early days... the station was staffed with 7 full-timers in the newsroom!  Lots of contributions from big names in NYC radio.  Currently owned by AAA Entertainment, plans are in the works for all of AAA's stations (they also own WCSO, WBAZ and WBEA) to be housed in one building. 3kw.


97.5 FM WALK-PATCHOGUE (1952)

Originally slated for Connecticut, this FM made its way to Long Island and signed on in 1952.  For years WALK played nothing but classical, big-band, and jazz.  Originally at 15kw, it was purchased in 1963 by Horizon Communications (Ed Wood Jr., Chet Huntley, Jerry Feniger and Bill Mulvey). 


Bob Klein came aboard in 1964 as the night jock and later did mornings after Bob Dorian left in 1970 (Dorian would later do mornings at WLIM).  Bob would be on until 9 AM (Klein 'til 9) and then run to do a show at WRIV at 10 AM in Riverhead.  Jack Ellsworth was the PD and Ed Wood Jr. the CEO until 1975 when Ed stepped down and Jack took over.  When the station was sold in 1980 to Alan Beck and American Media for 3.8 million, it flipped to AC (and also started broadcasting in stereo).  Bob Klein was kept on as the morning show host (he kept the show at #1 for a record 12 years and ended up staying until August 1992 when he retired).  Click Bob Klein's name to visit his tribute page. Frank Brinka continued as news director and Jack Ellsworth, who had tried to put together some investors to purchase the station, instead moved on to purchase WYFA.

Without a doubt, WALK has one of the best signals on the island with an ERP of 50kw from Bald Hill and the most recognizable brand name call (everyone knows WALK).  Was the 2nd to last FM to go Stereo on Long Island (WLNG is still holding out).  The 1980's saw the likes of Bill Andres (officially the first host of WALK Pillow-talk), Sean Casey (WFTL/WNYG), Frank Brinka (now at B-103 and WHLI), Jay Letterman (aka: Charlie Lombardo), the late Malcom Davis (WBAB FM), Bernie Bernard (WBAB & VOA) and Ron Gold (who later went on to run WBZO and WLUX).

WALK FM 97.5 Air-Check From 1985 (RealAudio)We've unearthed a rare scoped air-check of WALK 97.5 FM in Patchogue circa 1984, featuring the DJ voices of Billy Andres, Jimmy Pierce, Bernie Bernard plus a variety of other noted WALK DJ's doing commercial spots like Bob Klein, Sean Casey and more including a classic Crazy Eddie's Commercial.  Click on the reel-to-reel and enjoy! (RealAudio)   

In a move that sent shockwaves thru Long Island radio in March 2001, longtime PD Gene Michaels and GM Bill Edwards, who built WALK-FM into the heritage AC it is, were let go.  Credit goes to Pat Pagano, who's been WALK's Meteorologist for a record 25 years!  Format is Hot AC.

WALK Air-check from TechnerVideo on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/TechnerVideo#p/search/1/uCSxo1U01us


98.3 FM (WHNY, WHLI, WIOK) WKJY-HEMPSTEAD (1948)

Officially Long Island's oldest FM... was the only Quad stereo station on LI as OK-98 (WIOK) in the 1970's.  Has been co-owned with its AM (WHLI) since day one.  Current K-JOY moniker is highly identifiable with the station.  Was beautiful music for years with under the K-JOY banner until a flip to AC in the late 1980's.  Was oldies-leaning AC in the early 1990's (weekends were all oldies... later weekends were all 70's music).  Kathy Cunningham was there for years.  Ted David did weekends and fill in 1989.  Jim Douglas and longtime LI newsman Frank Brinka are among many who worked there.  Studios are down the hall from WHLI on Franklin Avenue in Garden City (moved in from their old location on Clinton St in Hempstead in 1991).  Latest information: as of March 1st 2010, KJOY will simulcast island-wide programming on 96.1 FM WLVG.  Both stations are 3kw. KJOY was owned by Barnstable Broadcasting, who in 2012 sold its four Long Island radio properties to Connoisseur Communications for $23 million. The properties include WHLI, WBGO and WIGX.

98.5 (WMRW, WLRI) WDRE-WEST HAMPTON (1992)
Has simulcasted WDRE/WLIR 92.7 since its inception.


101.7 FM (WBAZ, WCSO) WBEA - SOUTHOLD

Had been AC/Light AC since it's start (now Hot AC as Beach Radio 101.7... see below for more on this).  Was known for years as THE LIGHT ON THE BAYS (or 'Z' LIGHT ON THE BAYS).  Has one of the better east-end signals as WQCD 101.9 is the only first-adjacent that cuts into the signal (most east end stations have 1st adjacent on either side... like WLNG, WHFM, WLVG, WDRE).  AAA Entertainment (the current owners) started a simulcast of co-owned WBEA on May 24, 2001.  WBEA WAS Beach Radio 104.7, and is now known as Beach Radio 101.7 at the commencement of the simulcast (the 101.7 frequency, as of June 2001, is now the permanent home of Beach Radio and the WBEA calls.  Got it??? Good!).  So, what about the WBAZ calls and format which has been around for so many years?  They have moved permanently to another AAA owned station, 102.5 FM (which was WBSQ "Q-102"... and WCSO before the WBAZ calls were installed).  AAA had been simulcast WBAZ (101.7) on 102.5 for the better part of May 2001, with the intent to re-launch WBAZ on 102.5 (just like Beach Radio 104.7 simulcast on 101.7 before re-launching as Beach 101.7).  With the switch, the OLD 102.5 calls (which was WCSO) were stuck on this station until the installation of the WBEA calls (the WCSO calls now have moved twice since leaving 101.7... first to 104.7, then to the new 92.9 CP as 104.7 adopted the calls WMOS with their new Classic Hits format).  AAA feels that 101.7 would be perfect for Beach Radio since it is a popular format, and 101.7 has better coverage than 104.7.  Plans are to eventually house ALL of AAA's stations in one building.


102.3 FM WBAB - BABYLON (1958)

Originally at 103.1, licensed to Bay Shore (have been told this is why the original company was called Babylon-Bay Shore Broadcasting, but I would like confirmation on the whole 103.1 thing).  First at 200 watts (760 watts ERP) from the Route 109 tower it shared with its AM (1440)... then to 1kw-3bay antenna (3kw ERP) on the same tower.  WBAB had simulcast many different formats with its 'Mother" AM (the AM came first), until it finally found home base with an AOR (Album Oriented Rock) format in 1973.  Sold in 1979 by Babylon-Bayshore Broadcasting (which had financial problems), the FM moved out of its original digs (leaving the AM behind) to a new location down the road on Route 109 in a building it shared with PC Richards.  Due to unreasonable rent increases (which practically took place overnight), WBAB was forced to move to a new tower site... first to the Dix Hills water tower, then to a site at Exit 51 on the south side of the LIE (Long Island Expressway).  Currently owned and operated by COX Radio Inc., WBAB is still AOR today and shares a building with co-owned WBLI on Sunrise Highway in West Babylon.  For more information on WBAB's earlier years, you can visit the WBAB AM/FM page on this site.  Courtesy of Rick Christensen we've added to the WBAB AM/FM page some early WBAB FM air-checks featuring Bob Evans, Mark Alan, Scott Burke and Steve Elliot for all to enjoy.


102.5 FM (WLIE, WBSQ, WCSO) WBAZ-BRIDGEHAMPTON (1996)

Current logo: Lite On The Bays... talk originally was that this station was going to be ALL NEWS.  Went on-air first with Country Music as WLIE and was also Classic Rock for a short time, then an AC format (with slogan "Q-102").  Current owners are AAA Entertainment.  In May 2001, AAA Entertainment began simulcasting WBAZ 101.7 on this frequency.  On May 24, WBAZ permanently vacated 101.7 for this channel (Lite AC format AND call sign).  The WCSO calls first went to 101.7 before moving again to 104.7 (as the WBEA 104.7 calls went to 101.7).  AAA feels that most of WBAZ's listeners were in the Southampton area... and 102.5's transmitter is located IN Southampton.  Plans are to eventually house ALL of AAA's stations in one building.


103.1 FM (WBSI) WBZO - BAYSHORE (2-93)

The WBSI calls were dropped only a few months after the station signed on because WBLI complained the WBSI calls were too similar and would taint the Arbitrons.  Jack Ellsworth and WLIM were among the original applicants for this last FM.  Originally, the transmitter site was supposed to have been located on the Fire Island Lighthouse.  Carried Islander hockey games in the first few months on the air.  This is the last new FM on the western end of the Island.  Popular oldies format since the start with lots of former talent from WNYG taking the mic (Steve Jefferies, Paul Richards, Bob Perry, and Rob Jeantet), among others.  Legendary personalities like Max Kinkle and Famous Amos have done fill-ins here.  Dennis Falcone was the first Program Director and Rick Martini was the first morning man.  Bill Wise held the PD reigns in 2001.  Studios are located at Airport Plaza in Farmingdale, where the office space is shared with WIGX 94.3. 



103.5 (WTFM, WAPP, WQHT, WYNY) WKTU-LAKE SUCCESS (9-1-58)

WGLI's original FM (actually went on the air 4 days before the AM), Original owner was a concern headed by WWRL-AM owner William H. Reuman. Friendly Frost (acquired 3/1/60), an appliance shop headed by Frank Perloff, moved the station to Lake Success in the early 1960's (Lake Success was chosen because it was one of the western-most communities in Nassau County), and later sold co-owned WGLI-AM and WQMF-FM to Warwick Associates (later to be known as Beck-Ross Communications).  Famous tower site on the Long Island Expressway near Utopia Pkwy in Queens at the studios.  The transmitting location made its way to the Chrysler Building in the late 1960's and eventually settled into the World Trade Center. There was some co-channel problems with a 103.5 in New Jersey for years.  Studios went from the Long Island Expressway to Astoria with WHN (later to become WFAN) in 1986.  In 1988, WQHT (as it was known then) swapped positions with WYNY (at 97.1-FM) and went Country with the WYNY calls on 103.5.  The station, now known as WKTU, took time to construct a backup transmitter site at 4 Times Square in 1999.  Little did anyone know about what was to come that would press this aux site into full service.  On September 11, 2001 at 8:42 AM, an act of unspeakable horror inflicted by terrorists on the American public unfolded... two hijacked airplanes crashed into each of the 110 story towers at the World Trade Center.  The crash eventually collapsed both buildings and destroyed other buildings in the WTC complex.  Thousands died, including rescue workers who rushed to the scene, only to have the buildings collapse on them.  Among the lost were engineers for television stations that maintained transmitters at the World Trade Center. We say a prayer for all those who have suffered.

Long Island News Radio WRCN
103.9 FM (WAPC, WHRF) WRCN - RIVERHEAD (1963)

Had originally simulcast the AM (WHRF) when an attempt to split programming led to the birth of the WRCN calls.  According to Doug Douglas, rumor has it the calls mean "Riverhead Concert Network".  In its early years 103.9 was part of the classical off-air net which included BCN-Boston, HCN-Hartford, NCN-New York and XCN-Providence.  Made its way after it found a fairly successful AOR format in 1974 (a year after WBAB, which had already been playing Top 40 music a year earlier).

The WHRF/WRCN 1972 to 1975 Personality Line-Up (Courtesy Of Bob L. Goodman):

Mornings - Don Brink / Bob Caton
Mid Day - Rick Di Roma / Bob Goodman
Afternoons - Mike Fischetti
Evenings -  John Steele / Bob Goodman
Overnights - Bruce Rector, Gene Pfeiffer
Weekends-Tony Mastrelli
News - Dave Schreiber
Program Director - Rick DiRoma / Mike Fischetti
Music Director - Mike Fischetti / Bob Goodman
News Director - Dave Schreiber
Chief Engineer - Gene Pfeiffer (kept his horse trailer out back)

Additional Line-up Information Provided By Peggy Chenoweth:

WRCN in Riverhead, 1974-75
Mornings: Bob Ciasca (spelling?) ("Robert David Ciasca").
Mid-Day: Mike Fischetti or Don Brink (also co-PDs at some point then)
Afternoon Drive: Larry Blass
Evenings: Mark Chenoweth (AKA Mark Shannon)
Overnights: Bruce Rector, then Steve Kaczarowski (spelling?) (AKA Steve Drake)
News: Jeff Fisher and a very young high school student by the name of Jack Kratoville.

Other noted past personalities include PD Marc Coppola (WBAB, K-Rock & Q104), Johnny Valentine (WAPP) and Ralph Tortora (WBAB/WNEW/Q104).  Studios were originally located in the rear of the Flanders Drive-In, then to Main Street above the Town Police Station in Riverhead.  WRCN had a short lived rival run at WBAB in 1994-95 with its simulcast on Western Suffolk's WMJC (94.3).  Co-channel WFAS has made it difficult for this station to compete to the west or get a power increase.  Later in years, WRCN FM had again simulcast on the co-owned AM, which has since been sold to Five Towns (WFTU 1570).  Had a variation of its AOR format (Classic Rock) with studios located off Route 112 in Medford.

A very special thanks to Maureen Buckley for donating an original circa 1979 WRCN "Street Sheet".  Also included is a brief profile and photo of WRCN's DJ Tim Tango.  Check out the Street Sheet site for vintage audio files of WRCN from 1984-85, featuring Marc Coppola, Johnny Valentine, Eric Burger (The Rock-Meister), Lenny Block, Juanita Tantillo, and more!

As of late 2013, WRCN retained it's original call letters and frequency, but flipped formats and became Long Island News Radio 103.9, bannered as Long Island’s only FM news station, which at select times broadcasts live from studios located inside Islip’s MacArthur Airport. Format: News, Talk, Traffic, Sports and Weather to local listeners.


104.7 (WBEA, WCSO, WMOS) WELJ - MONTAUK (1993)
Management originally tried to copy the 'Live 95' format WHFM (95.3) had before they began to simulcast WBAB in 1992. Station has found its own identity as 'Beach 104.7', a Hot AC station. It was so popular that on May 24, 2001, WBEA began simulcasting on co-owned 101.7 (which has a better signal). WBEA's format and calls have been permanently installed on 101.7. As for 104.7, the rumor originally was for a standards station here with the WCSO calls (and the station did sport the WCSO calls for a short time), but instead, in early July 2001, it turned out to be classic hits and the calls WMOS (the WCSO calls have moved to the new 92.9 CP in Southampton).  2010 saw "The New 104.7 WELJ" (with 10,000 songs in a row and zero commercials). AAA Entertainment (which owns the 92.9 construction permit with the WCSO calls, 96.7, 101.7, 102.5 AND this station) plans to eventually house ALL of AAA's stations in one building.

105.3 WXXP-CALVERTON (1998)
Co-owned with WDRE and WLIR-FM. Signed on Memorial Day Weekend 1998 with a CHR/Dance style format. Studios in the same building on Stewart Ave in Garden City with co-owned WLIR/WDRE (92.7/98.5). Tower located just west of the intersection of SR 25 and CO-RD 58 in Riverhead.


106.1 FM (WPAC) WBLI - PATCHOGUE (1952)

Originally WPAC-FM (with 1580 WPAC-AM) at 10kw.  Sold in 1971 to Beck-Ross Communications (also held WGLI at the time).  Studios in a trailer on the AM site after the sale... then to Main Street (Wedgewood Building)... then to a custom built building on Route 112 in Medford (with 112 Productions).  25kw and eventually 50kw directional (beam-tilt) came along in the late 1980's and early 90's.  Tower fell across Adirondack Drive during Hurricane Gloria (1985).  Now, the station transmits from Mile-High (the western-most tower on Bald Hill just north of Exit 63 on the LIE).  Hot AC format often featured oldies programs mid-days and Sunday nights in the 1980's... and in the late 1990's, WBLI morphed a full blown CHR.  Currently owned by Cox Radio Inc. with studios located in same building with WBAB on the north side of Sunrise Highway just east of Route 109 in West Babylon.

Speaking of the WBLI Wedgewood Building, here are some vintage office and studio pictures from 1973 of FM 106 WBLI taken at the Main Street location in Patchogue. The tour was given by then PD Jeff Thomas (Mike Scalzi), and the on-air personality was morning man Barry Neal.  Back in the early 70's WBLI used both carts as well as 45 records on the air (Barry Neal is searching through the 45 records in picture 2).  Check out the impressive Gates Executive Stereo console in production. Not sure, but we believe at the time WBLI also used one for on-the-air too.  Enjoy the photos!



And, if you are into Long Island radio nostalgia, here are some audio files that should bring back very fond memories!  Here is 1 hour 30 minutes of FM 106.1 WBLI from Monday August 24th and Tuesday the 25th in 1981. This file is a special treat for news buffs, as it welcomes WBLI’s newly hired news director Dennis Moore on board. Notable headline stories include a possible 'walkout' for our nation’s postal workers, President Regan plans to sell weapons to Saudi Arabia, John Hinckley Jr. indicted for the attempted assassination of Regan, Mark David Chapman heads upstate to the Sing Sing correctional facility in New York to start his 20 years sentence for the murder of John Lennon, Princess Diana and Prince Charles are expecting a baby, and treasures from the sunken ship the SS Andrea Doria are recovered, plus vintage local sports and more! This audio clip also includes WBLI overnight host Scott Taylor and morning host Barry Neal, along with most of the original music and commercial breaks intact*!
Scott Taylor Aircheck (Windows Media)

(*Footnote: WBLI sponsors at the time include Square Deal in Patchogue, Big Barry's in Lake Grove & Rocky Point, Port Jeff Dodge, Swezey’s Department Stores in Patchogue & Riverhead, The Chart-In Restaurant in Hampton Bays, Suffolk County Federal Savings, Long Island Aid Auto Stores, Clubhouse Sporting Goods, Nassau=Suffolk Chevy Dealers, Atlantic Oldsmobile-West Islip Auto Mall, "About Long Island" - The Grumman Corporation (Ray Adell Productions), and there’s even a vintage 1980’s Geico Auto Insurance commercial, just to name a few.)

Here is a rare Christmas air-check of 106.1 FM WBLI circa 1971.  This is the scoped version of WBLI's Rob McClain on Christmas Eve during a continuous 17 hour commercial free holiday music marathon, with an occasional weather report sprinkled in for good measure.  If you listen closely, you may notice the older analog L & R stereo processing "punch-bagging", especially towards the end of the air-check.
Scott Taylor Aircheck (Windows Media)

 

107.1 FM WWHB-HAMPTON BAYS (1980)
Frequency originally slated for Bay Shore in the 1950's. HB-107 (as it was known) was AC for its first few years before being purchased by Paul and Eddie Simon (yes, the Paul Simon), when it began it's Top 40 format. In 1991 it started to simulcast WNEW-FM in New York.  Was owned by Big City Radio and also was part of a 5 station country-music simulcast (called Y-107).  Is now called The BOX 107.1 and has been airing alternative rock ever since WLIR went Latin.


IT'S YESTERDAY, ONCE MORE


630 or 640 UNBUILT-PATCHOGUE (1960's)
This has come up in conversation with a few people. Never put on the air, I have been told that this was supposed to be a 1 or 5kw directional AM.

660 (WEAF, WNBC, WRCA, WNBC) WFAN-NEW YORK
This New York City AM originally had its transmitter in Bellmore (late 1920's thru the early 1930's) and in Port Washington (late 1930's thru 1963), before moving to High Island in the Bronx.  Was directional while in both earier locations, now 50KW non-directional.  Currently shares tower and transmitter plant with WCBS 880.

1320 WLBH-FARMINGDALE/1370 WPOE-PATCHOGUE (1926 to 1932)
First on the air in Farmingdale as WLBH. Spent time on 1290 and 1420 while in Farmingdale. Moved to Patchogue in 1929 as WPOE at 1370 kHz (WALK-AM would later take over the 1370 spot 20 years after this station went dark).

1390 (WRST) WINR-BAY SHORE (9-14-25 to 1931)
250 watts for Suffolk's first radio station WRST. Owned by Radiotel Manufacturing Co.  Local news provided by the Bay Shore Press.  Charles Gregson was GM.  In 1927 they moved to 1480 with 150watts, then later in 1927, moved to 1420 at 150watts. In April 1928 changed calls to WINR. (Stood for "winner," or "improved new radio.") Spent time on 1480, 1420 and 1210 kHz before it went off the air in 1931, a victim of the Depression. The day of this entry (9-14-00) would have marked their 75th anniversary had they stayed on!

1600 WLNG-SAG HARBOR (1963 to 1998)
Originally a 500 watt day-timer with a 22 watt nighttime allowance (which was reduced to 13 watts in the early 1990's.)  WLNG AM was a trailblazer and really opened the door to Eastern LI broadcasting.  The station simulcast it's sister FM which went on in 1969.  Tower location was practically in the water in the Sag Harbor Cove with studios located on the Redwood Causeway (actually Redwood Road) in Sag Harbor (in a narrow, one story building overlooking the AM stick and the cove).  Was sold in 1998 to WWRL and ultimately went dark so WWRL could improve its facility.

90.3 WSHS-FLORAL PARK (1945? to 1969)
Was the first post war educational FM station in the US.  It was housed on the Sewanika High School campus in what used to be a radar shack during the war.  The tower and antenna were built by students in the school's metal shop class, and operated at 250 watts.  From its start until the station ended up becoming a share-time deal between Adelphi and Nassau Community College, it was operated by student announcers from the radio class and board operators from the technical classes with one first class engineer, one manager and three faculty members.  Daytime programming consisted of educational programs.  Early evenings were music with local sports on weekends for home games.  Became share time with WBAU/WHPC after being off the air for several years and after deals with both Adelphi and Nassau Community College (see WBAU below and WHPC above).

90.3 WBAU-GARDEN CITY *s/t WHPC* (1972 to 1995)
Sewanaka High School made a deal with both Adelphi and Nassau Community College over the 90.3 frequency they had inhabited from the mid 1940's thru 1969.  Instead of a drawn out legal battle, Nassau and Adelphi decided instead to share time.  In 1995, Adelphi University (in debt with a radio station whose staff was mostly NOT students), sold the frequency to WHPC.  A short time later, WHPC became a 24 hour station.

103.3 W???- CORAM (CP 1970's)
This station (3kw and licensed to Coram), was proposed in the 1970's and even received a CP, but was never built. There was a call sign assigned, we are looking into finding out what that was.  Based on spacing, this station could not go on the air today, however there is a translator on 103.3 in Noyack... W277AB.  It is another relay station for Sacred Heart University.


The following commentary does not necessarily reflect the views of the webmaster
or any contributor to this website, or any site linked to or from this site.

Commentary By Mike Erickson: "CAN YOU TRANSLATE THIS FOR ME?"

I don't always agree with everything that happens in radio here on Long Island.  Sometimes I feel I am right, sometimes I know I am wrong and have been proven so.  Below you will find a list of translators on Long Island.

I personally think it is disgusting that not only do we have translators taking up viable spots on the dial where licensed radio stations could be placed (especially translators at 94.3, 100.7 and 103.3), but that all of these translators relay programming from OUT OF STATE... programming that can easily be heard at other spots on the dial.

Shame on Sacred Heart University and the Monroe Connecticut Board of Education.  These channels could be used for local programming and LPFM stations.  Indeed, this is not, nor will it ever be community programming!

89.3 W208AU-MASSAPEQUA (CP: Unbuilt)
When built, it will probably relay WSUF-FM Greenport, NY as part of the Sacred Heart University radio network.

91.3 W217AF-HUNTINGTON
Relays WSHU-FM Fairfield, CT

91.7 W219BA-RIDGE
Relays WSHU-FM Fairfield, CT

94.5 W233AI-SAG HARBOR
Relays WMNR-FM Monroe, CT

100.7 W264AJ-SOUTHAMPTON
Relays WMNR-FM Monroe, CT

103.3 W277AB-NOYACK
Relays WSHU-FM Fairfield, CT

105.7 W289AD-SELDEN
Relays WSUF-FM Greenport, NY

Contributors: Jim Pierce, Dick Moore, Jack Kratoville, Ken Lamb, Dave Vieser, Billy Andres, Russ Skadl, Kevin Geoffreys, Chip Ordway, Kathy Reilly,
Rich Bartholomew, Manos Demetris, Walter Mason, Dick James, Al Germond, Bill Buckner, Charles A. Kunz, Bob Harrison, Jerry Mehrab, Don Rosen,
Dennis Falcone, Rob Jeantet, Jack Ellsworth, Ed Marshall, Bruce Tria, Fred Porter, Rob Leonard, Ken Gholson, Dave Michaels, Gail Scott, Bob Klein,
Dr. Chuck, Mike Erickson, Stan Schneider, Wes Richards, Doug Douglas, Steve Matela, Bob L. Goodman, Gary McFarlane, Peggy Chenoweth, Ted David, Drew Scott, Mark Shannon, B.W. Clark, Steve Dunlop, Matt Maloney, Gil Fox, Drew Techner, Bill Croghan, Dana Puopolo, Paul Guercio, Alan Colmes,
Dave Hart, Gene R. Pfeiffer, Seth Morrison and Ed Karl.

Back To WACK Radio!
Copyright© 2001-2014 WackRadio.com - All Rights Reserved